Now for my favorite time of day: Telling the people out there that “I TOLD YOU SO!” Alistair Overeem is still on schedule for his UFC debut against Brock Lesnar.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed that the Dutchman’s drug test came back negative and he has been cleared to fight in the UFC. Overeem submitted his sample on Dec. 14 in the United Kingdom.
The “Demolition Man” is slated to lock horns with former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 on Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. This bout will determine the next UFC #1 contender for Junior dos Santos’ newly won strap, as well as a measuring stick for both Lesnar and Overeem. If Overeem wins, “he’s for real.” can be said finally to all you fan boys out there, also a victory should be an indication to Lesnar to walk away this time…If Lesnar wins, it is a feel good story after his second bout with Diverticulitis that almost cost him his career and Overeem losing would be everyone’s go ahead to say “I TOLD YOU SO!” too me.
UFC President Dana White first announced the news via Twitter on Tuesday. “Overeem is ready to go,” White wrote. “Lesnar vs. Overeem is on!”
Formerly MMA’s first and only Triple Crown Champion, K-1 World GP Champion, DREAM Heavyweight Champion and Strikeforce’s heavyweight titlist prior to signing with the UFC, Overeem has split time between Las Vegas and the Netherlands during his current training camp due to the health of his mother, who is battling cancer.
Overeem attended a NSAC meeting by phone to address a missed drug test which was requested by the commission on Nov. 17, the same day that Overeem returned to the Netherlands. After explaining his situation to the board, the commission granted him a conditional license after Overeem proved he had already booked the flight back to his homeland before he was even notified of the drug test.
Overeem was required to submit a urine sample to an NSAC-approved facility in Europe within 72 hours of the meeting, the results of which were revealed as negative. Additionally, the fighter must undergo another test upon returning to the United States and will be subject to two further, randomly administered tests in the six months to a year following this bout. So to all the people who claim he’s using PEDs, we’ll see.
The 31-year-old Overeem has been dominant since 2007. Since the wiry Overeem decided to fight at his more natural weight as a heavyweight and not as a light heavyweight, Overeem has lived up to every moniker given to him from “Demolition Man” to “Ubereem”. Winning 10 straight fights since turning heavyweight.
After claiming the Strikeforce heavyweight title in his promotional debut against Paul Buentello, Overeem captured both the Dream interim heavyweight championship and the K-1 World Grand Prix Kickboxing title in 2010.
Overeem hasn’t been defeated since winning the Triple Crown. Overeem last competed on June 18, 2011 cruising to a unanimous decision victory over Fabricio Werdum in the quarterfinals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Though he advanced to the semifinals, Overeem was forced to withdraw from the tournament due to a toe injury and was replaced by Daniel Cormier. This leads to the Strikeforce fallout with Overeem and his eventual signing with the UFC.